Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Pinball Wizard

On my morning walk today, I had a conversation about play time, the importance of taking time as a family to play, to enjoy each other, away from all the household duties, the laundry, the home improvement projects, the bills, etc.  We get so lost in our routines, that we often stop really seeing one another, or forget what breathes life into our relationship.
I love that even after being married for almost 10 years, when I take the time to really notice, to see my husband, he still takes my breath away, still stops me in my tracks, still fills my heart to the brim with love for him, with gratitude that he is my partner in life.  We went to the park this weekend, played Frisbee with friends, I rode Willis' scooter around the park, the kids practiced riding their bikes, we soaked up a little sunshine. 
Sean had brought Willis' rocket to launch.  It's one of those kind that you can launch and relaunch, where the kids can push the button that send the thing up 1000 ft into the sky (that may be an exaggeration, I'm not the best with distance).  He had the girls invite 3 little boys, who were playing basketball at the park, over to launch the rocket with us. He let each one have a turn.  They ranged in age from 5 - 9.  They were stoked to participate.  Sean was so kind to them, made sure each one had a chance to press the launch button at least once.  As my friend described it with her arms wide open, "Sean just brings you in, folds you into his community."  It's one of my favorite qualities of his, he has a way of making people feel welcome, unarmed.  He's a gentle soul, great with kids, and he knows how to have fun, too.
Fast forward to Saturday night and I am watching him, dressed in some crazy rocker get-up, sporting a mullet and headband (or sweatband?) singing Karaoke, The Who's "Pinball Wizard", with gusto.  My heart felt big and I was smiling from ear to ear.  I love this man.  I laughed with him, danced with him, felt light and happy to call him mine.

2 comments:

Spawn said...

That makes me feel seen and heard because ever since I was a young boy I played the silver ball, from Brighton down to Soho I must have played them all, but I ain't seen nothin like him in any amusement hall that deaf dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball !!!!!

Albigears said...

Pinball Wizard immediately takes me back to the summer that Tim brought his friend Pat? to the lake & we listened to the Who pretty much every day.
Later on, when I was in high school, I won a trivia contest for our team with a question about the Who. No one else knew the answer. :)