Thursday, September 25, 2008

Split Personalities

I've had this great epiphany...not that I always put it in to practice, but if you can just give what you do 100% of your attention, it sure does make life easier. I have been doing this work from home thing for about a year now, last year it was such a struggle. I felt like I wasn't doing anything with my whole heart, not completely giving myself to my work and not completely giving myself to my family.
I made the decision this year to carve out some time for my work on a weekly basis, working from home, without any children in the house, and it's made a world of difference. My job actually then feels like a gift, I feel excited (instead of frustrated) as I make phone calls and do the work and then when I pick my kids up later, I give them my whole self without being distracted by what I need to get done with my work, etc. It's kind of funny, it has everything to do with being in the present, the here and now (very yoga-ish and something I should already know). Not being physically in one place and mentally trying to be someplace else. Easier said than done, yes. There is still always laundry and dishes, cleaning around the house to be done, tidying up that would make our life look a little saner, really what counts though is these precious moments we spend together, with our whole hearts present, not drawn in some other direction. In the end, that will keep us all a bit saner, more so than having a clean house and a split personality! If I can remember to do this, stay present with what I am doing, at least once a day, life will be better for us all! I better go leave myself a note, so I remember to do it tomorrow....just kidding!

No comments: