Friday, May 28, 2010

Turn on the Light

Today was a good day. One with lows, yes, but mostly highs, reasons to be grateful, opportunities to let the light in. I started the day off on the RIGHT side of the bed, in a good mood, despite having stayed up later than normal last night. While I nursed Elsie this morning, I read from Meditations on the Mat...something stood out for me that I have never read or heard articulated this way. Seems pretty obvious when I think about it. "Spritual practice is about turning on the light - and the light is love." Whatever you might believe is the Source of the light, its where we tap into love, compassion, self-acceptance, forgiveness, all things light. When we choose to see the light, even when its surrounded by darkness, our load is much lighter, our day much brighter.
It's late and I should go to bed, but before I do, I wanted to give gratitude for all the things that contributed to me living in the light today...opening a 10 lb. bag of chocolate chips (Costco baby - I know its insane they make a bag that big and even more insane that we'll eat them up).... warm oatmeal chocolate chip cookies shared with my husband after the kids are all sleeping... watching my son ride away this afternoon, in a bicycle trailer with his cousin, driven by his uncle. Will had such a big smile on his face and I love that he feels so fearless about going.... dinner with my brother and sister in law I did not have to cook.... cooking dinner for a friend that just had a baby, paying forward what has been paid to me time and time again in dinner deliveries post partum...a surprise visit from an out of town friend.... holding new life, a 5 day old baby.... teaching yoga class without a plan and it going just fine ..... finishing my end of the year report for work...a friend calling to share in her celebration of accomplishment... my husband telling my pregnant friend she looks beautiful .... my daughter's laughter....the rain, the sunshine... Elsie taking a bottle for the first time, my Dad being the one to give it to her.... life is sweet.
The light is always on, some days we just have to open our eyes to see it.

No comments: